Thursday, November 16, 2006

Old Friends

I met this person, I won’t name names - but work with me - back when I was in High school. A very, very long time ago. We were best friends – as “best” as you could be, living 3000 miles away (and I had the phone bills to prove it! – no joke, this was before long distance was essentially “free”.. Ever write a check for $1200 to the phone company? I have!), then got romantically involved, which crashed and burned (I swear, if I were a writer, I could have sold ten years worth of scripts to one of the daytime soap operas). Anyway, after the breakup, we stayed in contact pretty well; I had hoped we could have salvaged our friendship. (*) Naive of me, perhaps, but I figured it was worth a shot – I’m slow to make friends, and once I develop that sort of a bond, I’m not one to casually let go. Anyway, for various reasons, that did not work out very well. She got married to someone; I got married to someone, etc, etc. She moved, I moved, etc, etc. Today I sent her a letter, asking if she wanted to get back in touch. I hope it’s received well.

(*) Many, many, many, many details left out – nobody was innocent – but for my own sanity I heavily edited history. The sort of editing that you would need to do to compress Hamlet or Othello into a single sentence. Either way, in 2006, none of that matters much. I’m happily married, she’s (I’m hoping) happily married – I’d just like to see if I could get my old friend back.

Anyway. I hope it’s received well, I do miss her.

No comments: