Saturday, December 02, 2006

Review: Black & Decker Alligator


We had a wind storm a few weeks ago, and a rather large tree limb fell in our back yard. Last time we had a limb like this fall, it happened during a snow storm, and it fell over our driveway. The limb was much larger then, and we were 'stranded' in our house until the property manager could send someone to chop it up. I fear the same thing happening this winter. Last winter, not being able to go to work due to a misplaced tree was not a problem, the Navy paid me either way. With my new employer, I'd have to make up the hours - I cant wait a day and a half for our property manager to send someone.

So, I bought a Black & Decker Alligator from Amazon.
Paid $89 for it, and ended up disappointed. It threw the chain twice, and started making nasty metal on metal noises when ran. It was not up to the job one bit, if you are looking for a heavy duty replacement for a normal garden saw, this could work - but if you need a small chain saw, then get one - not this.

I do like the design of the tool, and I may have been asking too much of it - it seems more suited to 2-3" thick branches and weeds, not 5-6" thick tree limbs.

Either way, its going back, and I'm on the hunt for a good gas powered chain saw.

No comments: